Dienstag, 15. September 2009

Webway Gate II

Had a short trip to the hardware store and got some Styrodur. The first step was to draw a rough silhouette of the gate onto the plate and cut it out. The material is way harder to cut than I had imagined.
 
The next step was sanding it into the form I wanted it to have. Eldar use wraithbone for everything and that is why I tried to give it a bone-like form. To do this, I used a belt sander on which I pressed the gate while pulling it over the belt. I am amazed how fast this is and how good the effect is. I  also made a small base for it with the same technique.
After having done Captain Hook's mascot, I started to put in little dents and athoer decorational stuff. I used a cutter  to do the rough forms and used a dremel to sand them into the form I actually wanted. In hindsight I would not do this again, as I cut a bit too deep into the material which made it difficult to get a clear form with the Dremel. Next time I will just use the Dremel. Talking of the Dremel: The little guy bailed out on me and left me without a tool in the middle of working on the piece. I really have to remember to put him back in the docking station when I am done with him.





Well, that leaves me with a picture of a halfway finished product, in which different stages of work can be seen at once. Gotta see the good side.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen